A move to Edmonton is an exciting yet dauting prospect, let us help you as you relocate. We did it. Now it's your turn!
Moving is such a big task - the worst feeling always is - am I forgetting anything? What do I have to do?
That's what I was worried about when we moved. So I created a Moving Checklist to help your move Edmonton be a little simpler.
I've tried to be as exhaustive as possible, but you may have to add a few items to suit your situation. Use this like a guide...and remember, it'll soon be over and you'll be in Edmonton!
- Before beginning the moving process, designate a place where you will keep track of all moving receipts and other important moving information.
- Sometimes you can claim tax deductions for moving expenses, you may want to check into this.
- Create a budget for your moving expenses and collect estimates from various moving services.
- To pack you'll need packing paper, bubble wrap, boxes, marking pens, duct tape and possibly twine.
- Get insurance your personal belongings.
- Before leaving your residence, don't forget to leave your keys in the designated spot.
- Leave a note with your new address in the house so mail can be forwarded to you if needed.
- It's a good idea to give your new phone number and another contact number to your moving company.
Contact and Notify Before You Move
- File a change of address form at the Postal Service.
- Collect medical records, dental records, prescription records, and shot records.
- If possible, have your present doctor refer you to another doctor in Edmonton.
- Notify dentist, and if possible have dentist refer you ton an Edmonton dentist.
- As needed, obtain legal records and financial records.
- Transfer funds from your bank to an Edmonton bank and close accounts as needed.
- Remove items from safety deposit boxes.
- Let credit companies know you are moving.
- Contact your insurance companies to see if they will cover you during and after your move to Edmonton.
- Notify Vehicle registration and licensing agency.
- Give utility companies a "stop date" to discontinue service your current residence.
- Before you leave have all utility meters read.
- Notify current water company about your move Edmonton.
- Notify current electric company about your move.
- Notify current gas/oil company about your move.
- Notify current telephone company about your move.
- Notify current cell phone company about your move.
- Notify current internet supplier about your move.
- Notify current cable/satelite company about your move.
- Notify current landscaping services about your move.
- Notify current housecleaning service about your move.
- Notify current alarm service about your move.
Clubs and Subscriptions
- If you are apart of any clubs or have a membership anywhere, look into moving, selling, or stopping your membership.
- Cancel your newspaper subscription.
- Cancel or change your magazine, catalogue, book, or music subscription.
- Have your kids' school records transferred to the school they'll be attending in Edmonton.
- Notify Veterinarian.
- Get a copy of immunization records.
- Transfer veterinary records.
- Transfer Pet's licenses.
- Make travel arrangements for your pets.
- Give friends and family your new address and phone number.
- Check to make sure that your mail is coming to your new address.
- Pick up any held mail at the post office.
- Get a new driver's license and new tags for your vehicle.
- If needed, find storage units to store your goods.
- Have your utilities connected or meters read.
- Notify new Gas/Oil company in Edmonton.
- Notify new Electric company in Edmonton.
- Find a new Telephone company in Edmonton.
- Find a new Internet Supplier in Edmonton.
- Find a new Cable/Satelite company in Edmonton.
- Contact an Edmonton paper for your subscription.
- Register to vote.
Move From Outside Canada
- Make sure you have your Passport(s).
- Make sure you have visa and any other necessary paperwork.
- Make sure you have your automobile registration.
- If you have any pets, make sure you have veterinary records.
Hopefully, this helps organize your brain a little more for your move Edmonton. We hope it gives you an action plan to make the relocation more smooth.
All the best!
Go to Moving Edmonton Main Page
Go to In-Edmonton-AB.com Home Page from Move Edmonton